Story Archive

Last Man Standing

The house in Ross, Pa., was nearly totally destroyed. Firefighters tried to put out the flames, but it was so bad part of the house collapsed. But 2-1/2 hours later, as firefighters worked to find the cause after it was finally extinguished, a man inside yelled, “What are you doing breaking my windows?” said Fire Marshal John Reubi. Edward Stefanic’s bedroom was in an isolated part of the house, and the fire burned around his sleeping area. Stefanic had no idea his home had burned, Reubi said — he slept through the whole thing, but was hospitalized in critical condition from carbon monoxide poisoning. “I was flabbergasted,” Reubi said. (RC/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) ...Careful: even low concentrations of flabbergas can be extremely dangerous.
Publication Date: 01 November 2009
This story is in True’s book collection, Volume 16.

Search for:

Category: