Story Archive

Bring a Jacket

While the owner of a house in Mahwah, N.J., worked to secure a permit to tear it down, workers were brought in to dismantle the interior. “They were salvaging wires and things,” says Mahwah Police Department’s arson investigator, Sgt. Michael Blondin. All of the utilities had been turned off, so the workers lit a fire in the house’s fireplace to get warm. But the house was in bad shape, and the chimney apparently wasn’t intact: when the local fire department arrived in response to calls for help, flames were shooting out of the windows, and it had to call in help from firefighters in two neighboring cities. The house was destroyed. (RC/Bergen Record) ...The good news is, the owner doesn’t need a demolition permit anymore. The better news is, the workers got plenty warm.
Original Publication Date: 05 April 2015
This story is in True’s book collections, in Volume 21.

Is There a Problem on This Page? Let Me Know using the Help button lower right, and thanks.

I believe humanity is held back by the lack of thinking. I provoke thought with examples of what happens when we don’t think, and when we do. This is True is my primary method: stories like this come out every week by email, and basic subscriptions are free. Click here for a subscribe form.

Search for: