This is True’s Podcast, Uncommon Sense, first debuted 7 July 2017 — with the first issue of the publication’s 24th year. In September 2018, it relaunched with a new focus; episodes from the first series are no longer available. A new episode comes out most every week.
To See a List of Available Episodes, scroll down or click here.
You can subscribe via iTunes, or using many other apps that use the iTunes directory as an information source: just search for “Uncommon Sense” and look for the graphic shown here. You can also subscribe directly through our RSS feed (RSS links are how podcast apps find new episodes). That direct link is https://thisistrue.com/feed/podcast/
Too complicated? You can also listen by going to each episode’s “Show Page” and clicking on the Play button at the very top.
What’s a Podcast?
Podcasts are how I listen to my favorite radio show, NPR’s Science Friday, as well as several other high-quality shows with information I want or need. With iTunes on an iPhone or iPad tablet, you can subscribe to any of thousands of different titles that automatically download to your phone. You can listen to the shows at your convenience, and that way you can hear shows you really want to hear, rather than what happens to be on the radio when you are on the road needing something to listen to. I don’t like brain-rot shows that are interrupted every three minutes by strings of even more brain-damaging commercials; I want to listen to what I really want that makes me smarter, or is at least intelligent entertainment.
Not an iPhone/iPad Person? Actually, I’m not either: I use an Android phone myself; there are plenty of podcast apps you can get free that will download, manage, and play the shows you subscribe to. I now use Podcast Addict since it’s highly configurable and flexible, but not terribly complex to figure out how it works. Like many such apps, it can be set to only download shows when connected to WiFi (to not use up your mobile data plan).
The True podcast is a “live to tape” show (read: very light touch on the editing, like removing technical snafus). It will decidedly not be a recording of me reading stories: I’ll usually have a co-host, and we’ll talk about the stories, interview guests, talk about the “story behind the stories,” and, yes, from time to time you’ll be able to hear some of my “rants” about various issues, in my voice, coming to you for 20-30ish minutes each week, on Fridays. In other words, it’s completely separate from the newsletter, not an audio version of the newsletter. It’s also free, with sponsor and/or reader support (via the existing Patreon page).
- Podcast 011: We Need Better Heroes - In This Episode: We get more of what we pay attention to. But some people — usually people with Uncommon Sense — aspire to something greater than the whims of the masses and can make a huge impact on the world. This episode looks at what we as a society pay a lot of attention to, at the detriment to the much more important things we pretty much ignore. I have a story about each, and the contrast is mind-blowing. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast11
- Podcast 010: “I Just Don’t Have Time” - In This Episode: “I just don’t have time” is the modern mantra. And I’m here to tell you why that’s total B.S. Because if you apply Uncommon Sense to the time problem, that turns out to not be the problem you think it is. I’m going to tell you how to get more out of putting time in. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast10
- Podcast 009: The Headlines Lied - In This Episode: There’s a lot of talk about accuracy in the media these days, up to and including frequent accusations that the mainstream press publishes “fake news.” For the most part, I don’t think that’s true, but that doesn’t mean people who watch TV or read news online don’t have to be intelligent consumers of news, especially when it comes to medical or scientific topics. Or, to put it another way, we need to exercise Uncommon Sense as a filter on the news, and this episode has an example of why. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast9
- Podcast 008: The Man with the Golden Arm - In This Episode: I had heard about the man I’m going to tell you about several times over the past several years, but I didn’t know the whole story of James Harrison, who has been called “The Man with the Golden Arm”. It’s a bit of a medical mystery and, as I researched all of this to understand what the heck it was that he did, I discovered Harrison started displaying Uncommon Sense even as a child. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast8
- Podcast 007: A Second Opinion - A very different kind of episode: a story that's not from the newsletter, but rather one that's too long and complex to be shortened to 100ish words plus a pithy tagline. It's an amazing story of hope and renewal, with a wild twist at the end. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast7
- Podcast 006: The X Factor - In This Episode: How two men inspired others to change the world in a massive display of Uncommon Sense. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast6
- Podcast 005: The Last Stroke of Midnight - Feel-good stories can go viral online. I’m going to tell you one of those stories using the Uncommon Sense filter to see what we can take away for the longer term, after the viral story is forgotten. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast5
- Podcast 004: Full Circle - In This Episode: When sizing up someone in a modest profession, don’t make the mistake of thinking the job title defines the person or their abilities. They might just surprise you with an overabundance of Uncommon Sense. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast4
- Podcast 003: Cassini: The Bigger Picture - In This Episode: From California, where I came to see and reflect on the End of Mission for the Cassini spacecraft -- its so-called Grand Finale. This isn't about the mission per se, but rather the thinking behind it, how that fits into True’s mission, and how that ties into this week's Honorary Unsubscribe! In other words, The Bigger Picture. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast3
- Podcast 002: Reverberating for Decades - In This Episode: If there’s any profession the public deals with on a regular basis that’s bound by rules and protocols it’s medicine. But some do the human thing anyway, guided by their Uncommon Sense. This episode has several inspiring examples. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast2
- Podcast 001: The Best of Humanity - In This Episode: While the stories in This is True usually point out the pitfalls of not thinking, the Honorary Unsubscribe holds up the best of humanity, which often means someone who exhibited Uncommon Sense on a regular basis. This episode not only features a interesting example, but adds some extra details and commentary. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast1
- Podcast 0: Relaunch Introduction - In This Episode: An introduction to This is True, and the Uncommon Sense Podcast. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast0
- Podcast 013: How ADD Made TRUE Possible - In This Episode: Society seems to think ADD/ADHD is some sort of curse. Yet when properly managed, it provides "superpowers" that are an absolute gift. Randy and a special guest -- his high performance coach (who specializes in entrepreneurs with ADD/ADHD) -- talk about why that is, and what it takes to get away from the "monsters" that are created by society dealing with our neurological types. Plus, an extra-fun segment of No Longer Weird. Show Notes: https://thisistrue.com/podcast13