This is True’s Podcast, Uncommon Sense, debuted 7 July 2017 — with the first issue of the publication’s 24th year. I plan to have a new episode every Friday to get your weekend off to a great start.
To See a List of Available Episodes, scroll down or click here.
You can subscribe via iTunes, or using many other apps that use the iTunes directory as an information source: just search for “Uncommon Sense” and look for the graphic shown here. You can also subscribe directly through our RSS feed (RSS links are how podcast apps find new episodes). That direct link is https://thisistrue.com/feed/podcast/
Too complicated? You can also listen by going to each episode’s “Show Page” and clicking on the Play button at the very top.
What’s a Podcast?
Podcasts are how I listen to my favorite radio show, NPR’s Science Friday, as well as several other high-quality shows with information I want or need. With iTunes on an iPhone or iPad tablet, you can subscribe to any of thousands of different titles that automatically download to your phone. You can listen to the shows at your convenience, and that way you can hear shows you really want to hear, rather than what happens to be on the radio when you are on the road needing something to listen to. I don’t like brain-rot shows that are interrupted every three minutes by strings of even more brain-damaging commercials; I want to listen to what I really want that makes me smarter, or is at least intelligent entertainment.
Not an iPhone/iPad Person? Actually, I’m not either: I use an Android phone myself; there are plenty of podcast apps you can get free that will download, manage, and play the shows you subscribe to. I now use Podcast Addict since it’s highly configurable and flexible, but not terribly complex to figure out how it works. Like many such apps, it can be set to only download shows when connected to WiFi (to not use up your mobile data plan).
The True podcast is a “live to tape” show (read: very light touch on the editing, like removing technical snafus). It will decidedly not be a recording of me reading stories: I’ll usually have a co-host, and we’ll talk about the stories, interview guests, talk about the “story behind the stories,” and, yes, from time to time you’ll be able to hear some of my “rants” about various issues, in my voice, coming to you for 20-30ish minutes each week, on Fridays. In other words, it’s completely separate from the newsletter, not an audio version of the newsletter. It’s also free, with sponsor and/or reader support (via the existing Patreon page).
- Podcast 0: Introduction - In This Episode: For practice, and to test out the new hosting platform for the podcast, I thought I’d do a quickie (5-minute) introduction. As promised, it’s set up so you can download it manually if you wish. Episode 1 will come out on time on Friday (7 July). How to Subscribe You can subscribe […]
- Podcast 001: My Co-Host - If You Missed “Episode 0” (the intro to the series), listen here. In This Episode: Say hello to my co-host (and long-time assistant), Clare Angelica. “This is Episode 1 …so we’ll probably flub it up!” I said in the opening. But you know, for our first try, I think it’s a pretty decent effort. 🙂 […]
- Podcast 002: Political Unrest and Insider Tours - In This Episode: Now we’re getting up to speed! My brother the recording studio engineer helped with balancing the microphone for my co-host Clare Angelica, and those tips helped with my side too. This is much more the “studio quality” I was aiming for in the first place. I’ve also signed up for an overnight […]
- Podcast 003: Reading TRUE to Kids - In This Episode: A topic I’ve been wanting to talk about for literally years: should you consider reading This is True to your kids? Lots of parents do — or let the kids read it themselves. But first, finishing up last week, one more behind-the-scenes tour, of this place: A really neat photo of the Gates […]
- Podcast 004: Forget Polite, Let’s Talk Religion - In This Episode: “We’re told that in polite society that you don’t talk politics or religion.” Yeah, whatever: as Clare says, we’re not always in a polite society. Episode 2 talked politics, so let’s get to religion! That conversation is spun around a story from last week, which was “graphicized” as the Story of the […]
- Podcast 005: Politics, Religion, Oh! And… - In This Episode: Politics and religion can’t be talked about in polite society? Randy in Washington says no, there are three taboo topics: don’t forget sex (eek!) So yeah, let’s go there, based on this week’s story (click to see larger) on the self-proclaimed “Million Dollar Ho” of (of course!) Florida. Plus the debut of […]
- Podcast 006: The Best of Humanity - In This Episode: While the stories in This is True usually point out the pitfalls of not thinking (or “obliviots doing stupid things”), the Honorary Unsubscribe holds up the best of humanity. This episode not only features a interesting example, but adds some extra details and commentary. Jump To… Show Notes How to Subscribe How to […]
- Podcast 007: A DUI-What? - In This Episode: We talk about two stories: the new “DUIE” law in Washington state, that was the subject of last week’s “Story of the Week” (right: click to see larger), and this fairly amazing story also from last week, about a minor slap on the hand for an apparently long-term sexual predator: Blame the […]
- Podcast 008: A Little Bit Brighter - In This Episode: A “new” term is introduced to be the contrast to “obliviot” — and something else really bright (or is that dim?) from Real Life this week. We discuss the attached story about Jimmy McCoy of Oklahoma City, Okla., which leads this week’s newsletter. (Click to see larger.) Jump To… Show Notes How […]
- Podcast 009: We Need Better Heroes - In This Episode: When the people in charge fail our kids. (At least sometimes, the people in charge of those people step in, and make things right.) It’s the lead story in this week’s newsletter (click the image to see it larger). And what, really, is the lesson kids learn when sports gets high priority, […]
- Podcast 010: Zero Tolerance - In This Episode: No Longer Weird: An obliviot trying to pass a 99-cent “$1 million bill”. And it’s Episode 10: you’re darn right it’s time to do a bit of a rant on zero tolerance! Clare and I talk about an older case that was so clearly a case of “Sue ’em!” — that the […]
- Podcast 011: The Bigger Picture - In This Episode: From California, where I came to see and reflect on the End of Mission for the Cassini spacecraft — its so-called Grand Finale. This isn’t about the mission per se, but rather the thinking behind it, how that fits into True’s mission, and how that ties into this week’s Honorary Unsubscribe! In […]
For Podcast-Specific Updates
…subscribe to the Podcast Notification list. This will only be about the podcast.