Randy’s blog — more than 700 entries — goes back to 1994. If you’d like to read through all of them, it’ll take you awhile — but you’ll be amply entertained. The first entry is here: Introducing My Blog, and there are links at the bottom of each page (above the comments) to get to the next entry.
See bottom of this page regarding comment photos.
A Listing of ALL Blog Entries is here — the listing is long. Note there’s a search function in the navbar if you’re trying to find something specific. The following is a listing of the most-recent entries:
- Deep Inside NASA’s JPL - Years Ago, I’d Get Early Notice of public tours coming up at my old workplace, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and tip off readers. It’s a lot easier to get that info in recent years so I haven’t bothered, but then …Covid. No tours. Except these days, the quality of “virtual tours” has increased so much ... Continue Reading
- What’s Good for the Goose - It’s rare that I run a guest post here, but a post I spotted on Facebook this morning written by a friend is so concise and thought-provoking, I thought it deserved a wider audience. The title was suggested by the author.
- 087: I Got the Moderna Vaccine - My Reaction So Far. It was quite the surprise to get the shot 2 days before Christmas.
- The Year of Covid - “Thought-Provoking Entertainment” isn’t just a This is True slogan, it’s an illustration of my mission in life: to promote more thinking in the world. If thinking was truly valued by society, the U.S. wouldn’t have had such a struggle with the pandemic.
- The Spammer (A Christmas Tale) - It’s absolutely possible to fight back against spammers …if you think about what would actually work. Pull up a chair by the fire and I’ll tell a story about how I did it this Christmas week, and turned The Grinch into a reformed marketer.
- 086: Beating the Vaccine Scare-Mongers - Now that the coronavirus vaccine is rolling out, there are several important things to watch out for, which may take a little Uncommon Sense to fully get past the scare-mongers.
- 085: The Triple Win - What makes a business work in the sense of the triple win: employees and customers being happy, and the owners making a decent return, or better! This is about a guy who applied Uncommon Sense, and figured it out. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast85
- 084: Why You’re So Tired - A lot of us are pooped — wrung out, over capacity. This episode doesn’t just talk about why, but how to build your resilience to the stressors of this crazy year that’s not over yet. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast84
- Covid: Think for Yourself (Dammit!) - “I’m tired of the state telling me I have to wear a face diaper as a method of control. That is what is at stake here.”
- The Exploding Whale, 50 Years Later - The First-Ever Viral Video (which, naturally, was of the “weird news” variety!) was shot a half century ago today. This is its story, with a higher resolution video than most have ever seen.
- 083: Coming Together - The United States is divided like never before, but it’s too easy to point at Donald Trump, or even to the 'right' or the 'left': there is fault all around. By applying the Uncommon Sense and without being partisan, let’s explore what both sides can learn. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast83
- International Space Station: 20 Years - At some point humanity’s “continual presence” won’t be a mere 250 miles from home.
- 082: You Don’t Need Willpower - Relying on willpower for change is a recipe for failure. A psychologist who has studied willpower says there’s a much, much, better, and easier, way. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast82
- Political Hypocrites and Other Silliness - Really, would you want me to shy away from forehead-slapping obliviousy just because the obliviot was a politician? HELL no!
- Florida Man: On Wheels - “Florida Man” really is a thing, and apparently so is “Florida Vehicle” (which, to be fair, is just a vehicle with a Florida Man at the wheel). Such stories led the past two issues (and ended up as Story of the Week both times), so let’s take a closer look.
- 081: Breathe Easy - There’s a technique that can keep you calm, or even alive in an emergency, that’s so easy to learn you’re already doing most of it right now. You’ll be amazed at what it can get you through when you learn the rest of it, and I’ll tell you how. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast81
- DiMezzo’s Trap - I Hadn’t Even Geared Up to write (or edit the stories from the guys) when I got an email from Premium reader Mike in New Hampshire: “OK, this is just a perfect example of results that can happen when you just vote the party line without thinking,” he said, and included a link to an ... Continue Reading
- 080: The Eight Secrets to a (Fairly) Fulfilled Life - The title of this episode — The Eight Secrets to a (Fairly) Fulfilled Life — isn’t mine, as I’ll explain, but it’s the distillation of one man’s writing, and this is going to summarize his summary. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast80
- 079: The Key to Success - The fear of failure is central to most of our lives. We worry about failing in business ventures, in personal relationships, and in our dreams. But what happens when you apply Uncommon Sense instead and embrace failure? Because that’s actually the key to success, and I’ll tell you how. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast79
- 078: Tapping a Deeper Mind Power - What if there was a way to use your mind to reduce stress, increase emotional health, boost your attention span, help preserve your brain as you age, even help control pain? There is a way, and it’s actually easy to do. Show Page: https://thisistrue.com/podcast78
How to Include Your Photo on Comments
You’ll note some comments include a photo representing the commenter. The comment system uses Gravatar to pull up user photos. Register there if you already haven’t; it uses your email address to associate your stated address when you comment with your Gravatar account, and then it’s automagical on any site that uses Gravatar (which is a lot).
If you wish to remain anonymous and not have your photo show, then add an “address” tag to your address (because comments that use fake addresses are automatically rejected). That is, if your email is your.name @ gmail.com, you can use a tag like your.name+nopic @ gmail.com — that changes your address enough that it won’t pull up a photo. You’ll still get notifications (if you sign up for them), too.