Author’s Notes from This is True® — Thought-Provoking
Entertainment Online Since the Internet’s Dark Ages.
Note: Randy’s blog — more than 600 entries — goes back to 1994, the start of This is True itself. If you’d like to read through all of them, it’ll take you awhile — but you’ll be amply entertained. The first entry is here: Introducing My Blog, and there are links at the bottom of each page (above the comments) to get to the next entry.
Note 2: See bottom of this page regarding comment photos.
A Listing of ALL Blog Entries is here — the listing is long: there are over 600 pages. Note there’s a search function in the navbar if you’re trying to find something specific. The following is a listing of the most-recent entries:
- Podcast 014: An Act of Charity - In This Episode: A mostly seasonal segment for No Longer Weird. Then, it seems like just a funny story, but a crusty donation to a food bank maybe isn’t so charitable after all, and — when you think about it — demonstrates the value of thinking about your actions before doing. (more…)
- Podcast 013: How ADD Made TRUE Possible - In This Episode: Society seems to think ADD/ADHD is some sort of curse. Yet when properly managed, it provides “superpowers” that are an absolute gift. Randy and a special guest — his high performance coach (who specializes in entrepreneurs with ADD/ADHD) — talk about why that is, and what it takes to get away from […]
- Podcast 012: Hurricane Response …Florida Style - In This Episode: Hurricane Irma is a major disaster, so how does Florida handle the aftermath? With typical Floridiocy, of course. Plus, another segment of No Longer Weird! And the story of an everyday hero. (more…)
- Podcast 011: Cassini: The Bigger Picture - In This Episode: From California, where I came to see and reflect on the End of Mission for the Cassini spacecraft — its so-called Grand Finale. This isn’t about the mission per se, but rather the thinking behind it, how that fits into True’s mission, and how that ties into this week’s Honorary Unsubscribe! In […]
- Podcast 010: Zero Tolerance - In This Episode: No Longer Weird: An obliviot trying to pass a 99-cent “$1 million bill”. And it’s Episode 10: you’re darn right it’s time to do a bit of a rant on zero tolerance! Clare and I talk about an older case that was so clearly a case of “Sue ’em!” — that the […]
- Podcast 009: We Need Better Heroes - In This Episode: When the people in charge fail our kids. (At least sometimes, the people in charge of those people step in, and make things right.) It’s the lead story in this week’s newsletter (click the image to see it larger). And what, really, is the lesson kids learn when sports gets high priority, […]
- Podcast 008: A Little Bit Brighter - In This Episode: A “new” term is introduced to be the contrast to “obliviot” — and something else really bright (or is that dim?) from Real Life this week. (more…)
- The Ongoing Struggle - After My Discussion Last Week that said True is suffering tough times due to a reduction in Premium subscribers since the election, and really needs about 1 percent of you to upgrade to just get up to the “minimum sustainable” target to make the publication fully viable, Joe in California wrote to say he didn’t […]
- Podcast 007: A DUI-What? - In This Episode: We talk about two stories: the new “DUIE” law in Washington state, that was the subject of last week’s “Story of the Week” (right: click to see larger), and this fairly amazing story also from last week, about a minor slap on the hand for an apparently long-term sexual predator: (more…)
- Podcast 006: The Best of Humanity - In This Episode: While the stories in This is True usually point out the pitfalls of not thinking (or “obliviots doing stupid things”), the Honorary Unsubscribe holds up the best of humanity. This episode not only features a interesting example, but adds some extra details and commentary. Jump To… Show Notes How to Subscribe How to […]
- What to Look for During the 2017 Solar Eclipse - Updated with Post-Eclipse photos and video. (Jump to Updates) A solar eclipse occurs when the moon gets between the sun and Earth, casting a shadow on the Earth’s surface. This can happen only during a new moon when the sun and the moon are in conjunction as seen from Earth in an alignment referred to […]
- Podcast 005: Politics, Religion, Oh! And… - In This Episode: Politics and religion can’t be talked about in polite society? Randy in Washington says no, there are three taboo topics: don’t forget sex (eek!) So yeah, let’s go there, based on this week’s story (click to see larger) on the self-proclaimed “Million Dollar Ho” of (of course!) Florida. Plus the debut of […]
- Podcast 004: Forget Polite, Let’s Talk Religion - In This Episode: “We’re told that in polite society that you don’t talk politics or religion.” Yeah, whatever: as Clare says, we’re not always in a polite society. Episode 2 talked politics, so let’s get to religion! That conversation is spun around a story from last week, which was “graphicized” as the Story of the […]
- Podcast 003: Reading TRUE to Kids - In This Episode: A topic I’ve been wanting to talk about for literally years: should you consider reading This is True to your kids? Lots of parents do — or let the kids read it themselves. But first, finishing up last week, one more behind-the-scenes tour, of this place: A really neat photo of the Gates […]
- Podcast 002: Political Unrest and Insider Tours - In This Episode: Now we’re getting up to speed! My brother the recording studio engineer helped with balancing the microphone for my co-host Clare Angelica, and those tips helped with my side too. This is much more the “studio quality” I was aiming for in the first place. I’ve also signed up for an overnight […]
- Podcast 001: My Co-Host - If You Missed “Episode 0” (the intro to the series), listen here. In This Episode: Say hello to my co-host (and long-time assistant), Clare Angelica. “This is Episode 1 …so we’ll probably flub it up!” I said in the opening. But you know, for our first try, I think it’s a pretty decent effort. 🙂 […]
- Podcast 0: Introduction - In This Episode: For practice, and to test out the new hosting platform for the podcast, I thought I’d do a quickie (5-minute) introduction. As promised, it’s set up so you can download it manually if you wish. Episode 1 will come out on time on Friday (7 July). How to Subscribe You can subscribe […]
- Behind the Scenes at JPL - Long-time readers know that This is True was created while I still had a Day Job. It was a very cool job: I was on the engineering staff at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1986-1996 — True was started in 1994, so there was a two-year overlap). Shortly after I left to pursue True full time, […]
- This Can’t Go In the Newsletter - I Wanted to Cover a Story, but I knew there was no way I could put it in the newsletter: it would cause the issue to be trapped by about 90 percent of readers’ spam filters. (more…)
- Tom Negrino - A year ago, a long-time friend’s husband (a writer very popular in Macintosh circles) revealed he was dying of cancer. (more…)
How to Include Your Photo on Comments
You’ll note some comments include a photo representing the commenter. The comment system uses Gravatar to pull up user photos. Register there if you already haven’t; it uses your e-mail address to associate your stated address when you comment with your Gravatar account, and then it’s automagical on any site that uses Gravatar (which is a lot).
If you wish to remain anonymous and not have your photo show, then add an “address” tag to your address (because comments that use fake addresses are automatically rejected). That is, if your email is your.name @ gmail.com, you can use a tag like your.name+nopic @ gmail.com — that changes your address enough that it won’t pull up a photo. You’ll still get notifications (if you sign up for them), too.