Did you know there are two online editions of This is True?
I’d rather attempt to saw off my leg with a hacksaw in the middle of a desert while chained to a car leaking gasoline slowly running towards an open flame than let my Premium subscription lapse. —Robert, California
There’s the Free Edition
You may only be aware of the free edition, read by tens of thousands of subscribers from all over the world. You can sign up for this edition on most of the pages of this site for no charge, and it has a selection of four stories from that week’s Premium edition, plus the “Headline of the Week”.
But if you simply love our true stories, you can get many more every week with our Premium Upgrade subscriptions.
If you’re not already on our free distribution, you can sign up right now using the form right next to this paragraph.
Then There’s All of It: Premium
The Premium edition of This is True has all the stories — more than twice the articles in the free feed. You get a lot more True with a Premium Upgrade, which has several other valuable features:
- You get the entire column, not the abbreviated selection of the free feed. The full column has at least 10 stories each week (often more); the free feed has 4-5.
- No outside (third-party) advertising to interrupt your reading.
- Arrives much sooner in the week than the free edition — Monday evenings, rather than Fridays (U.S. time).
- Occasional Reader Tagline Challenges — an extra story where you provide the tagline in competition with other readers.
- Miss an issue? Even if you accidentally delete it (more commonly: it’s deleted by overzealous spam filters), fix the problem first and then use the form linked in the footer of every issue to request a copy. (Yep: best to save at least one issue!)
- You are left on the free distribution — you can decide for yourself whether you want both or not. (Many Premium subscribers prefer to get both.) Unsubscribing from the free edition does not affect your Premium subscription. (There’s an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every free issue.)
- You get a 20% discount on This is True book collections, with no minimum or maximum — if you’re buying books as gifts (a great idea), this benefit could easily pay for your Premium subscription!
- Easy address changes*.
Despite having double (or more!) the number of stories, Premium is not double the size of the free edition! How is that possible? Yes, there are more stories, but there aren’t paragraphs about upgrading to Premium. There aren’t outside ads. Premium thus ends up being more “concentrated” — more stories, less extraneous sales material. Sweet!
Upgrades Start At Just $9.00 for the auto-renewing quarterly subscription (here). A full year of expanded issues is just $32, and there’s a discount for bumping it to two years. You can upgrade using credit/debit cards, Paypal — even send checks in the mail.
If you were attracted by a particular story in the “stories you missed” section of the free edition, feel free to include a note with your order that says we should start with the issue dated whatever.
Gift subscriptions are simple: Enter your information on the order, and in the comments area, put your friend’s name and email address, and any message you want us to deliver in the gift message. Forgot to include the gift info (or Paypal doesn’t let you, despite our having set that)? Then contact us with the details after you do your order. Easy!
Plastic, Paypal, Paypal Auto-Renewing, or…
If you’d like to order an upgrade and/or our other products — True book collections (Premium subscribers get a 20% discount), GOOHF cards or other goodies — our secure shopping cart is ready for you. It accepts major credit cards, Paypal, or you can use it to get your total to mail in with a check or money order.
Click here to use the shopping cart (opens in a new window), which also allows for auto-renewing subscriptions on a quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis.
Paypal is the quickest method if you have an account there:
I started my business before “Internet marketing” so I’m quite used to mail order. We’re happy to accept your in U.S. dollar order by mail with a check or money order if it is payable through a U.S. bank. Please send with your email address clearly printed to:
This is True
PO Box 666
Ridgway CO 81432 USA
Q: Why would I want to pay more than the regular rate?
A: To support the publication to help it thrive and stay online, and this kind of support means less future need for price increases (and smaller increases when they do happen), which enables more people to upgrade. This option was requested by existing Premium subscribers.
Special Subscription Terms
*You can update your address as often as necessary — see the bottom of any issue for a special update address. Since we are rather open with our “free samples” (you know what you are getting before you pay for it!), there are no refunds should you unsubscribe for any reason.
We do not reply to anti-spam “challenge-response” systems. It’s up to you to ensure you appropriately “whitelist” thisistrue.com with your mail provider.