Thousands of Stories and Headlines!
Randy’s been telling these wacky-but-true stories weekly since 1994, and there must be a lot of them by now, right?
Why yes…. Yes there are.
Each volume of the This is True book collection contains a full year’s worth of columns from This is True. Each week Randy writes 7-9 stories, and only five make it into the free edition. The rest were only in the Premium edition. Not only that, but sometimes there have been extra stories that were pulled for confirmation, because Randy didn’t like the tagline, or other reasons. Many of those have been confirmed or improved, and restored for the books. The result: more than 500 True stories and headlines in each book!
Each book is available in paperback or instant-download ebook format — in both “mobi” (Kindle and similar) and “epub” (iPad and similar) formats.
- Volume 1: This is True: Deputy Kills Man With Hammer
- Volume 2: This is True: Glow-in-Dark Plants Could Help Farmers
- Volume 3: This is True: Pit Bulls Love You, Really
- Volume 4: This is True: Artificial Intelligence Like Real Thing
- Volume 5: This is True: Cost of Being Poor Rising
- Volume 6: This is True: Platform Shoes Claim Another Life
- Volume 7: This is True: Committee Names Committee
- Volume 8: This is True: Invisible Man Disappears From View
Each book’s title is a real news headline included in that volume. More volumes are coming soon — see below for title details.
You Don’t Need a Kindle!
Note you do not need a Kindle device to read these books! Get the Kindle app or software for Android phones/tablets, iPhone/iPad, BlackBerry phones, Windows Phone 7, and/or Windows or Mac for free here. (Or check this article from AskLeo!, How do I read a Kindle book if I don’t have a Kindle?)
Also Available: True’s Honorary Unsubscribe
The Honorary Unsubscribe is a recurring feature in This is True. While True has weekly examples of the crazy things we humans think we can get away with — jaw-dropping stories of the human thought process, and the realization that we can do better (a lot better!), the Honorary Unsubscribe is the “balance” to that, the opposite: stories of the absolutely coolest people you’ve ever heard about; the ones who do live a lot better.
And the first five volumes collecting those write-ups into book form are now available.
These are the people you wish you had known. Start with the inventors: the same guy invented the computer hard drive and the video cassette. Another guy vinyl — and bubble gum. Even the guy who created the Smiley Face (and why he didn’t get rich from it).
And then there’s the artists — the creators of music and TV shows you love. Doctors who made radical breakthroughs to improve human life. Even a rocket scientist here and there, who helped humanity reach toward the stars. And, yes, an entertainer or two — the ones who spent their entire lives bringing us joy, only to die mostly forgotten.
The mainstream media tend to worship celebrities and sports figures, but the real heroes in life are often anonymous to the public. You’ve likely never heard of the doctor known as “the fastest man on Earth” — but you’ve probably seen his photo, working as his own test dummy, risking his life to learn how to make cars (and even spacecraft) safer. He’s in Volume 1.
The stories are fascinating: you won’t believe the cool people you have missed in your life. At the moment, they’re only available from Amazon in Kindle format. They’ll be coming to both “mobi” and “epub” formats soon, and the paperback versions have started to come out also.
- Volume 1 includes write-ups from 1998 through 2000 on Kindle. Coming soon in other ebook formats and paperback.
- Volume 2 includes write-ups from 2001 through 2003 on Kindle. Coming soon in other ebook formats and paperback.
- Volume 3 includes write-ups from 2004 through 2006 on Kindle. Coming soon in other ebook formats and paperback.
- Volume 4 includes write-ups from 2007 through 2009 on Kindle and paperback. Coming soon in other ebook formats.
- Volume 5 includes write-ups from 2010 through 2012 on Kindle and paperback. Coming soon in other ebook formats.
Also Available: True’s Spam Primer
The Spam Primer started in the This is True newsletter in 1996 as a way to help people deal with a new problem: spam. Even then, author Randy Cassingham realized spam would become a huge problem for everyone who depends on e-mail (and it has: it’s estimated that about 90 percent of all e-mail traffic is spam, which makes it difficult for legitimate e-mail to get through, and to find it among all the garbage!)
Spam has of course grown to be more than a nuisance: you can have your identity stolen and see all of your bank accounts drained. This short new book includes full details on how Randy solved his spam problem (he only gets 2-4 in his inbox per week out of the thousands sent to him), plus answers to questions from readers, and more. It’s just $2.99.
Click on the cover to order from Amazon.com, or click for the Amazon store you use: Amazon USA | Amazon France | Amazon UK | Amazon Germany | Amazon Italy | Amazon Spain | Amazon Japan | Amazon Brazil | Amazon Canada.
Coming Soon: More This is True Books!
- Volume 9: This is True: Science Confirms: Politicians Lie
- Volume 10: This is True: Whale Flatulence Stuns Scientists
- Volume 11: This is True: Chicken Ticketed for Crossing the Road
- Volume 12: This is True: Teen Sex Survey Reveals Lying Is Rampant in Teen Sex Surveys
- Volume 13: This is True: Much of the Adult Population Are Poor Role Models
- Volume 14: This is True: Official Statistics Say Don’t Trust Official Statistics
- Volume 15: This is True: Man Arrested after Chicken Was Found in Pants
- Volume 16: This is True: One-Legged Suspect Caught with One Stolen Shoe
- Volume 17: This is True: Police Charge One-Armed Man with Unarmed Robbery
- Volume 18: This is True: Man Exposes Himself at Association for the Blind
- Volume 19: This is True: Man on Singles Holiday Finds Himself Alone
- Volume 20: This is True: Stolen Prosthetic Arm Discovered in Second Hand Shop
- Volume 21: This is True: Drunk Man Says Dog Drove Him to Store
- Volume 22: This is True: Animal Rights Activist Beaten with Duck
Whew! Plenty to choose from. If you’re new to the books, start at the beginning with Volume 1, and work your way though them.