I’ve asked readers to please recommend True to their friends — that, after all, is probably how they heard about the newsletter in the first place. But a reader wants help to do that: “I’m not a writer,” says Carla in Oklahoma.
“I really want to get you more subscribers,” Carla said. “Can you help me promote you?”
The Easy Tip Up Front
I don’t think you need to be a writer to just say what you like about True — just say what you really think. “I subscribe to this. It’s funny and thought-provoking, and I think you may like it too. It’s free.” is fine.
But sure: Carla wanted a hand, and it prompted me to make up a graphic that she could share on Facebook, Pinterest, Google Plus, her own blog or web site, or any other place where you can post an image.
After posting the first one to Facebook, it had more than 200 reposts (“shares”) in just a few hours. But more importantly, I immediately saw an increase in subscriptions — and in the “Where Did You Hear of This is True?” box, I saw lots of references to “friend,” “Facebook,” and even “friend on Facebook.” It works!
And if I made the graphic for Carla (by posting it to my Facebook page, why not make it easy for other readers to find too, even those not on Facebook?
And if I’m going to grab attention with a funny photo, why not make a handful of versions, in case someone prefers a particular photo?
Why not indeed! So there are now eight nine of them. Feel free to wait for the one you like to come up on Facebook (I’ll be posting a new one every weekend for nine weeks), or grab it from here and post it yourself. If you have the ability to have a link to another page, maybe make that link to the story illustrated in the graphic: the URL is shown in each, and you can click each one to see it larger.
And, by request, featuring a Zero Tolerance story:
I suggest that when you post (or “share”) one of these, you add a comment, such as how long you have subscribed, how much you like it, that it’s thought-provoking, or whatever moves you. The whole idea is to personalize it for your friends.
Here’s just a sampling of what other readers have said when posting these on Facebook:
- I love This is True. There have been many funny and some not so funny stories over the years and I am proud to say I have been a subscriber for MANY years now and have loved them all. Here’s to many more.
- I love the “reporting” style of Randy Cassingham. He publishes a weekly newsletter: “This Is True.” Subscribe to the free version and see for yourself.
- I’ve subscribed to this for many years — it is fun stuff and good thought provoking comments. Randy Cassingham is one of the first internet entrepreneurs, and still a good one.
- I do subscribe to this newsletter. Check out the free version for a taste of what you get, and then subscribe to the Premium Edition.
- There a free weekly edition and an expanded paid edition. I especially like the Honorary Unsubscribes.
- Maybe I’ll start sharing this daily. This is such an awesome newsletter!!! Thank you, Randy Cassingham. I’m not sure how long I’ve subscribed to the free version or the paid This is True. But, I subscribe to both. 😀
- I read this every week and it never fails to entertain me and make me think.
- This newsletter is easily worth what I pay for the Premium Edition. If you’re not sure, there’s a Free Edition, too.
- I have been reading This is True on and off since college, and the premium subscription is worth every penny!
- I have been a Premium subscriber for several years now, but think all my friends should at least try out the free version.
- Thought provoking and entertaining.
- Really cool newsletter.
- I Do. Do You?
- Always interesting, thought-provoking, and entertaining.
- A plug for This Is True – I’ve been reading this weekly email forever! Sign up for a free subscription and enjoy Randy Cassingham’s wry humor. It’s not non-political, but he’s just as happy to skewer either side. Equal opportunity skewering? 🙂
- It’s one email a week, well worth your time. Trust me.
- I love This is True!!
- Been reading This is True for the last five years and never get tired of it. Try it!
- I have subscribed for YEARS. Interesting and thought-provoking! There is a free version if you want to try it for yourself!
- I look forward to getting this in my inbox weekly.
- Sometimes contentious, always fun.
- I do subscribe, and I always enjoy it. I think you will, too. It often challenges me the THINK, and I believe it will challenge you, too.
- For really though provoking entertainment, subscribe to This is True.
- You can find out for free why I’ve been a paying reader since 1997. Open-mindedness has its rewards.
- This is some of the best on the Internet. A free subscription gives you a half dozen true stories per week that will give you reason to think, to chuckle, to laugh out loud and give a wonderful perspective on life. A paid subscription gives you more stories per week and is well worth the <3 dollars per month it costs. You will never miss the 32 dollars per year, and you will never regret getting the stories.
For other ideas to help “spread the word” about This is True, see How You Can Help True Survive. Thanks!